Green River awards a number of scholarships each year to assist students in meeting their educational expenses. Check with your advisor or a financial aid counselor to get more details about applying for these scholarships and to find out about deadlines.
The following is a list of just a few of the many sites available to students searching for scholarships. This list consists of links our staff have found to be useful for students, but is not exhaustive by any means.
Scholarships Offered Through the Community
- B. Davis Scholarship, Student Award Search Aid (deadline: May 27, 2013 – award amount: $1000). In less than 1000 words, discuss “what would you consider to be the most important issue that society has to deal with in the next 10 or 20 years? Why do you think this issue is so important?”
- Centurylinkquote.com Scholarship (deadline: June 30, 2013 - award amount: $1000). In 500 words or less, "Tell us about a time you helped a friend or family member with an Internet-related problem."
- Childhood Cancer Survivor College Scholarship Program, American Cancer Society (deadline: Feb. 22, 2013 – award amount: $2500). This scholarship program gives young cancer survivors the opportunity to pursue their post-secondary education from an accredited university, community college or vocational technical school.
- Educational Scholarships for Women, Washington State Business and Professional Women's Foundation (deadline: May 1, 2013 - award amount: varies from $500-$1000). See website for more information.
- Hearthstone Housing Foundation Academic Scholarship Fund (deadline: March 30, 2013 - amount: varies from $500-$5000). See website for more information.
- Military VA Loan Disability Awareness Scholarship (deadline: Jan. 10, 2013 - award amount: $1000). Prospective or current college students are welcome to apply for this scholarship that is in support of disability awareness.
- P.E.O. Program Scholarship - deadline varies, Award value $2000. Available to women only. Applications available in the GRCC Financial Aid Office.
- Renton Community Foundation Scholarship Program, Various Scholarships Available (deadline: April 19, 2013 - award amount: ranges from $500-$5000). These scholarships are also available on www.washboard.org.
- Student Saver Scholarship, DegreeDirectory.org (deadline: March 14, 2013 - award amount: $1000). Answer the question: Do you think your degree will be worth the cost? Why or why not?
- Undergraduate Scholarship (deadline: July 1, 2013 – award amount: $1000). BestOnlineCollege.org is offering a $1000 scholarship for undergraduate students seeking financial aid for tuition, books, and educational related costs.
- Usbundles.com Scholarship (deadline: July 14, 2013 - award amount: $1000). Write a 250-300 word article about whether you think traditional or online/digital textbooks are better and why.
Diversity Scholarship Sites
- American Indian Endowed Scholarship, Washington Student Achievement Council (deadline: Feb. 1, 2013 – award amount: ranges from $500-$2000).
- Black Excel Multiple links to African American, Hispanic and other minority scholarship searches, Historically Black colleges and other useful sites.
- Gates Millenium Scholarships for African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific American or Hispanic students.
- Hispanic College Fund Financial assistance for Hispanic students seeking a degree in academic disciplines which lead to careers in business.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund - Includes a listing of scholarships for Latino students.
- United Negro College Fund - Scholarships are sorted by General, Alphabetical, Geographical and Discipline.
- Commission on Asian/Pacific Islander Affairs
- American Indian College Fund
- The Latin American Educational Foundation
- Holocaust Remembrance Scholarships
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund
- INROADS internships
- ScienceNet Scholarship Listing
- Graduate Fellowships For Minorities Nationwide
International Student Scholarship Information
- EduPass Smart Guide to Studying in the USA - Provides up-to-date information for international students.
- International Education Financial Aid - Promotes international education through the development of the most comprehensive database of international education financial aid information on the Internet.
- International Scholarships Online - At this site, you will find the most comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs, and other information to assist college and university students in their pursuit to study abroad.
- International Scholarship Search
- International Scholarship Resources
Scholarships for Academic Programs
- American Welding Society Foundation District Scholarship Program, MULTIPLE SCHOLARSHIPS (deadline: February 15, 2013 - award amounts vary).
- CEO.com (annual – deadline: July 1, 2013 – award amount: $2500). Scholarship available for students interested in business leadership and/or entrepreneurship.
- CNAThrive.com The Thriving Caregiver Scholarship (deadline: March 31, 2013 – award amount: $1500).The scholarship is given to candidates who are working to become caregivers (must be applying or attending a Nursing, LPN, or CNA Program).
- Mortgage Refinance Rates Construction & Engineering Scholarship (annual – deadline: July 2013 – award amount: $1000). Students currently enrolled in an engineering, construction, or architecture related field and who are pursuing further education in these respectable areas are welcome to apply.
- Nursing Education Scholarship (deadline: February 10, 2013 – award amount: $1000). TravelNursing.org is offering a $1000 scholarship for applicants who are applying to a medical related field or who are currently pursuing further education in the fields of nursing and medicine.
- Scholarships for Nursing
- The Hayes Barnard Paramount Equity Young Entrepreneur (The Y.E.S.) Scholarship (annual – deadline: June 30, 2013 – award amount: $4000). Future entrepreneurs looking for an opportunity to develop their ideas through higher education and help make a difference in the world are welcome to apply.
- Washington State Opportunity Scholarship, College Success Foundation (deadline: Feb. 18, 2013 - award amount: $1000). This scholarship is designed to help low and middle-income Washington state residents in their pursuit of four-year degrees in the following eligible high demand programs of study: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) or Health Care.
Washington Universities - Transfer Student Scholarships
- University of Washington-Tacoma Scholarships
- University of Washington-Seattle transfer Scholarships
- University of Washington-Seattle Husky Promise
- Washington State University Transfer Scholarships
- Western Washington University Transfer Scholarships
- Seattle Pacific University Transfer Scholarships
- Evergreen State College
- Eastern Washington University
- PLU Transfer Scholarships
- Whitworth University
- City University of Seattle
- University of Washington Tacoma's Next Step Scholars (deadline: must be submitted to GRCC Financial Aid Office by March 14, 2013, Deadline for UW Tacoma: March 29, 2013 - award amount: $12,000). Scholarships applications are available in GRCC Financial Aid Office as well.
- WGU Washington Community College Graduate Scholarships (deadline: January 31, 2013-award amount: up to $2,000). This scholarship is designed for graduates from a community college in Washington who wish to continue their education to earn a bachelor's degree.
Scholarship Search Engines
- The Washboard.org
- Careers and Colleges
- College Board Scholarship Search - Locate scholarships and other information that matches your educational level, talents and background.
- College Connection Scholarships
- College Scholarships
- The SmartStudent Guide - Undergraduate scholarships and graduate fellowships are forms of aid that help students pay for their education.
- FastAid Scholarship Search -The largest and oldest private sector college scholarship database.
- FastWeb! Search - Begins with a password protected customized profile for searches among thousands of scholarships.
- Find Money for College
- Free College Scholarships
- Next Student College Funding Made Simple
- Scholarship America
- Scholarship Hunter - Free and Easy Scholarship Source.
- Scholarship Experts - Locates scholarships by a profile of program, regional area, school and other information.
- Scholarship Quest Helper
- School Soup
- Student Scholarship Search
- The National Data Base Scholarships
- CollegeNet - Mach 25: Breaking the Tuition Barrier - Over 600,000 awards totaling over $1.6 billion with a keyword search to narrow to particular scholarships.