Student Affairs

Financial Aid

Important Notices

Check your Green River's financial aid status, view and accept your awards, and find out if the Financial Aid Office needs additional information online at Student Financial Aid Portal.

The Financial Aid Office is currently processing files completed in March (Updated on 3/4/15).

Spring quarter 2015 tuition holds will be given to files completed by March 20, 2015. Tuition payment holds will show "FIN AID TUITION HOLD" as a Course Title in your registration.

Plan to attend Summer Quarter?
Submit Request for Summer 2015 Financial Aid!

Apply now if you plan to attend 2015-2016 academic year, Fall 15 - Summer 16

  • Other documents may be needed later.
Steps to Print IRS Tax Return Transcript

Use your Gator Choice Card to select your financial aid disbursement/refund preference.

Make sure your mailing address in Enrollment Services is correct for your Gator Choice Card mailing.

Green River's Federal School Code 003780
The Financial Aid Office is closed for file processing all day on Wednesday and Thursday.

Financial Aid is available in three forms:

  1. Gift Aid – grants and scholarships
  2. Employment – jobs on or off campus
  3. Loans – low interest with deferred repayment

Financial aid awards are processed throughout the year in the order that files are completed, so it is best to apply as early as possible to receive the funding that is still available. Late applications are less likely to have their award notices completed prior to the start of the quarter.

Financial Aid Process Overview [PDF]

Paying for college is a challenge for most students. In addition to Financial Aid, Green River provides several funding options to help eligible students with their college expenses. Please check out other funding options on our Money for College page.

View your federal student aid (grant and loan) history, remaining Pell Grant eligibility and your loan servicer's contact information at


How to Apply

To apply for federal, state and institutional financial aid, please complete the following forms by the priority deadline:

  • Fall - March 15
  • Winter - October 15
  • Spring - January 15
  • Summer - April 15 (limited funding)
  1. FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) -- See tutorial videos below
  2. Supplemental Financial Aid Application 2014-2015

The Supplemental Financial Aid Application must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office to complete your file.

If your FAFSA is selected for verification, additional documents will be required. Green River will send you a letter requesting the additional forms. When all required documents have been received by Green River College, students' files are put in line to be reviewed. This process can take up to three months before a student is awarded funding.

Other forms

If your financial aid eligibility has not been determined by the time tuition payments are due, you will be asked to pay your own tuition. There is an Easy Payment Plan (STEP) offered by Green River.

Undocumented Students (1079 Scholars)

Although students in this status are not eligible for student aid from the federal government, the REAL Hope Act (also known as the Washington Dream Act) has expanded eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to low-income, non-citizen students who meet the program's eligibility requirements and satisfy the residency criteria.

Academic Year 2015-2016 (Fall 2015, Winter 2016, Spring 2016 and Summer 2016)

1. Apply for WASFA.

2. Submit Supplemental Financial Aid Application 2015-2016 to the Financial Aid Office.

3. Submit Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit/Declaration/Certification to the Financial Aid Office.

The Financial Aid Office may send you a letter requesting additional information.


Tips and common mistakes to avoid

Adult Learners and nontraditional students

Military and veterans

Students in unique situations, wards of the courts, foster youth, single parents and more

Tutorial videos

Overview of the Financial Aid Process

How to Fill Out the FAFSA

Warning: If convicted of possession or sale of illegal drugs while receiving student financial aid (such as grants, loans or work-study) students will lose their financial aid eligibility.

Eligibility Req.

In order to be eligible for financial aid, you must fulfill the following requirements:

  • You have a high school diploma or GED® certificate
  • You have been admitted to the college
  • You plan to complete a college degree or certificate program at Green River College
  • You make satisfactory academic progress in your studies
  • You are not in default on a student loan received at any school
  • You do not owe a repayment of grant funds at any college attended
  • You are a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States
  • If male, you have registered for selective service
  • You have not been convicted of an illegal drug offense while receiving federal student aid

Grants & Scholarships

Grants are considered need-based financial aid from the government and don’t need to be repaid. Eligibility is generally based upon the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and other screening criteria.

See Financial Aid Programs.

Scholarships are normally considered “gift aid” because they don’t need to be repaid. There are thousands of scholarships with many different eligibility criteria and many different types of applications. Donors set their eligibility criteria in ways that help to direct their funds to the type of education or job training they want to support.

See Scholarships.


Educational loans are a form of financial aid that must be repaid, with interest.

Educational loans come in three major categories: student loans - Federal Direct Loans, Parent Loans  (Federal PLUS Loans)and Private Student Loans (also called alternative student loans).

Student Employment

In a community college setting, having a part-time job while attending classes, is an integral part of the academic success that students achieve. Many opportunities for employment are available at Green River College from institutional funding through federal and state funding. When you envision your part-time job as résumé building skills, your individual success and contribution to our college community will be invaluable. - Go to Student Employment website for more information.

Hours & Contact

See all college hours »

If you have questions, please call (253) 833-9111 ext 2449 or e-mail us at: We are happy to assist you.

Fax: (253) 288-3473

Location: Lindbloom Student Center, LC-231