Green River awards a number of scholarships each year to assist students in meeting their educational expenses. Check with your advisor or a financial aid counselor to get more details about applying for these scholarships and to find out about deadlines.
The following is a list of just a few of the many sites available to students searching for scholarships. This list consists of links our staff have found to be useful for students, but is not exhaustive by any means.
Scholarships Offered Through the Community
- Abbott & Fenner Scholarship (deadline: June 10, 2016 - award amount: $1,000) Available to all high school juniors and seniors and all students currently registered in any accredited post-secondary institution. Essay on career or life goals and application details are available on the website.
- Band Together Scholarship (deadline: August 1, 2016 - award amount: $500) Write a short essay explaining who has helped you throughout your life to get where you are today. Entries should be 500 to 1000 words in length. Please see website for details and the application.
- CARiD Scholarship Program (deadline: Oct. 31 and Apr. 30 - award amount: $1000) Current U.S. students may create a photo inspired by any aspect of the automotive industry and email it to scholarship@CARiD.com. See the website for additional details and what to include in your submission.
- College Student Scholarship, NursesLink.org (deadline: Oct. 31 and Apr. 30 every year - award amount: $500) Non-nursing college students can complete an application and write a 500-800 word essay. See website for more details and the application.
- CourseMinded scholarship (deadline: June 20, 2016 - award amount: $1,000) High school and college undergraduate students who are passionate about online learning. Students applying must list the online courses they've taught, taken or intend on taking, as well as why they are interested in online learning and what they think the future of online courses will look like. The website can be about any topic the student is passionate about. See website for more details and the application.
- DISHPromotions.com Scholarship (deadline: Nov. 30 and June 30 every year - award amount: $1,000) College students and incoming freshman with 2.5 grade point average. See website for additional details and application.
- Financial Aid for Education, Assistance League Seattle (deadline: none, students should submit applications at least three weeks before the registration date to ensure time for processing - award amount: varies) Each year, Assistance League of Seattle provides qualifying students with scholarships for tuition and books to attend King County community colleges and vocational and technical colleges. The goal of these scholarships is to help students in need who are seeking an AA degree or transfer degree but may not qualify for traditional financial aid. See website for more information.
- Get-Frontier.com Scholarship (deadline: Nov. 30 and June 30 every year - award amount: $1,000) College students and incoming freshman with 2.5 grade point average. See website for additional details and application.
- McMenamin & McMenamin Washington Community Scholarship (deadline May 31, 2016 - award amount: $2,500) Submit a short (30-120 second) video and essay explaining: What does community mean to you? How have you made your Washington community a better place? Applicants must be enrolled at a two-year to five-year institution in 2016. See website for details and the application.
- Petkey Scholarship (deadline: July 22 every year - award amount: $500) Open to animal loving full-time students or those who plan on being full-time with over a 3.0 GPA. Submit a 500-1000 word essay or two-minute video. See website for more details.
- P.E.O. Program Scholarship: Philanthropic Education Organization (deadline varies - average award $3,000) Available to women only. Applicants must have had at least 24 consecutive months as a non-student, be within 24 consecutive months of completing their educational goal, and be enrolled in an educational program leading to employment or job advancement. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office. The application must be submitted to the Director of the Financial Aid Office.
- Seattle Foundation Scholarships Multiple scholarships with varied deadlines are available. Application information is provided at washboard.org.
- Sterling Law Scholarship (deadline: June 30 for the next school year - award amount: $1,000) Open to high school seniors and college students enrolled full-time to help curb the cost of education. See website for more details and the application.
- 2016 Lumity Health Care and Science Scholarship (deadline: July 1, 2016 - award amount: $1,000 - first, $500 - second) Open to currently enrolled college students participating in educational programs involving health care, dermatology, nutrition or science with a minimum 2.8 GPA. Submit transcripts with essay answering the following question: besides helping others, what intrigued you to take college courses related to the health care field? See website for more information.
- Varsity Tutors Scholarship (deadlines: fifteeth of each month - award amounts: $1000 each) Essay questions change monthly. See website for more details.
Diversity Scholarship Sites
- American Indian College Fund
- Black Excel Multiple links to African American, Hispanic and other minority scholarship searches as well as historically Black colleges and other useful sites.
- Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs
- Financial Aid for Minority Students
- Gates Millenium Scholarships for African-American, American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian Pacific American or Hispanic students.
- Graduate Fellowships For Minorities Nationwide
- Hispanic Students Online Guide, Making College Affordable Includes a listing of scholarships for Latino students.
- Holocaust Remembrance Scholarships
- INROADS internships
- P.E.O. Program Scholarship: Philanthropic Education Organization (deadline varies, average award $3,000) Available to women only. Applicants must have had at least 24 consecutive months as a non-student, be within 24 consecutive months of completing their educational goal, and be enrolled in an educational program leading to employment or job advancement. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office. The application must be submitted to the Director of the Financial Aid Office.
- ScienceNet Scholarship Listing
- The Latin American Educational Foundation
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund
- United Negro College Fund Scholarships are sorted by general, alphabetical, geographical and discipline.
- Washington Council of the Blind (WCB) (deadline August 15, 2016 - award amount: $1,000 - $3,000) Scholarships are offered to legally blind college or vocational and technical school students who are residents of Washington State. See website for details and the application.
- Washington State Business and Professional Women's Foundation Education Scholarships 2016-2017 (deadline May 10, 2016 - award amount: $250-$1,000) Open to women who are both U.S. citizens and have resided in Washington State for one or more years. Applicants must demonstrate scholastic ability and are in need of financial assistance. Several scholarship opportunities are open with specific age and other requirements for each scholarship. See website for details and the application.
- White Collar Defense Diversity Scholarship (deadline: Sep. 1, 2016 - award amount: $500) Offered to African American and Hispanic students from single-mother homes who are committed to pursuing a quality education and who have a demonstrated ability for overcoming adversity and challenges related to their backgrounds. Applicants must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. See website for additional details and application.
International Student Scholarship Information
- EduPass Smart Guide to Studying in the USA - Provides up-to-date information for international students.
- International Education Financial Aid - Promotes international education through the development of the most comprehensive database of international education financial aid information on the Internet.
- International Scholarships Online - At this site you will find the most comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs and other information to assist college and university students in their pursuit to study abroad.
- International Scholarship Search
Scholarships for Academic Programs
- Funding Your Nursing School Education offers information on multiple scholarships and grants for students in Nursing or CNA programs.
- Medical assisting certificate and degree programs
- Nursing Program Scholarship, NursesLink.org (deadline: Oct. 31 and Apr. 30 every year - amount: $1000) Nursing students may complete an application and write a 500-800 word essay. See website for more details and application.
- Nursing School Scholarship (deadline: Aug. 31, annually - award amount: $1000) Students who are enrolled or will be enrolling in an undergraduate or certificate level nursing education program are welcome to apply. See website for additional details and application.
- OMAP Scholarship, Online Medical Assistant Programs (deadline: varies - award amount: $500) four scholarships awarded annually. Students enrolled in a health care related field are welcome to apply. See the website for additional details and application.
- Scholarships for Nursing
Washington Universities - Transfer Student Scholarships
- Central Washington University
- City University of Seattle
- Eastern Washington University
- Evergreen State College
- PLU Transfer Scholarships
- Seattle Pacific University Transfer Scholarships
- University of Washington-Seattle transfer Scholarships
- University of Washington-Seattle Husky Promise
- University of Washington-Tacoma Scholarships
- Washington State University Transfer Scholarships
- Western Washington University Transfer Scholarships
- Whitworth University
Scholarship Search Engines
- Careers and Colleges
- Careeronestop - Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- College Board Scholarship Search - Locate scholarships and other information that match your educational level, talents and background.
- College Connection Scholarships
- College Resource Network
- College Scholarships.com
- ComputerScience.org - Scholarships for women in computer science.
- FastWeb! Search - Begins with a password protected customized profile for searches among thousands of scholarships.
- Find Money for College
- Free College Scholarships
- Scholarship America
- Scholarship Experts - Locates scholarships by a profile of program, regional area, school and other information.
- Scholarship Hunter - Free and Easy Scholarship Source.
- Scholarship Quest Helper
- Student Scholarship Search
- The National Data Base Scholarships
- The SmartStudent Guide - Undergraduate scholarships and graduate fellowships are forms of aid that help students pay for their education.
- The Washboard.org