Green River awards a number of scholarships each year to assist students in meeting their educational expenses. Check with your advisor or a financial aid counselor to get more details about applying for these scholarships and to find out about deadlines.
The following is a list of just a few of the many sites available to students searching for scholarships. This list consists of links our staff have found to be useful for students, but is not exhaustive by any means.
Scholarships Offered Through the Community
- CARiD Scholarship Program (deadline: Oct. 31 and Apr. 30 - award amount: $1,000) Current U.S. students may create a photo inspired by any aspect of the automotive industry and email it to scholarship@CARiD.com. See the website for additional details and what to include in your submission.
- College Student Scholarship, NursesLink.org (deadline: Oct. 31 and Apr. 30 every year - award amount: $500) Non-nursing college students can complete an application and write a 500-800 word essay. See website for more details and the application.
- Financial Aid for Education, Assistance League Seattle (deadline: none, students should submit applications at least three weeks before the registration date to ensure time for processing - award amount: varies) Each year, Assistance League of Seattle provides qualifying students with scholarships for tuition and books to attend King County community colleges and vocational and technical colleges. The goal of these scholarships is to help students in need who are seeking an AA degree or transfer degree but may not qualify for traditional financial aid. See website for more information.
- Horatio Alger National Career & Technical Scholarship Program (a deadline date is not determined as of August 11, 2016 as applications will be reviewed monthly until all awards, 510 awards up to $2,500 each, have been given out) Open to younger than 30 years old United States citizens who demonstrate critical financial need (must be eligible to receive the Federal Pell grant as determined by completion of the FAFSA) and exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a career or technical program. Applicants must have completed high school or planning to complete high school by Spring 2016. See website for details and the application.
- Internet -Scholarship (deadline: November 12, 2016 - award amount: $1,000) Write a 400-600 word essay on how the internet has impacted modern society. Argue whether these effects are primarily positive or negative and explain your reasoning. See website for details and the application.
- Petkey Scholarship (deadline: July 22 every year - award amount: $500) Open to animal loving full-time students or those who plan on being full-time with over a 3.0 GPA. Submit a 500-1000 word essay or two-minute video. See website for more details.
- P.E.O. Program Scholarship: Philanthropic Education Organization (deadline varies - average award $3,000) Available to women only. Applicants must have had at least 24 consecutive months as a non-student, be within 24 consecutive months of completing their educational goal, and be enrolled in an educational program leading to employment or job advancement. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office. The application must be submitted to the Director of the Financial Aid Office.
- Rxight™ Scholarship (deadline September 1, 2016 for Fall quarter 2016; April 1, 2017 for Spring quarter 2017 - award amount: $1,000) Applicants must have a minimum cumulative 3.5 GPA, be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, be pursuing or plan to pursue their first undergraduate or graduate degree in Pharmacy, and plan to enroll as a part-time or full-time student at an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution in the upcoming academic year. See website for details and the application.
- Seattle Foundation Scholarships Multiple scholarships with varied deadlines are available. Application information is provided at washboard.org.
- Sterling Law Scholarship (deadline: June 30 for the next school year - award amount: $1,000) Open to high school seniors and college students enrolled full-time to help curb the cost of education. See website for more details and the application.
- Tobacco-Free Life Academic Scholarship (deadline varies - award amount: $1,000) Are you passionate about creating a tobacco-free world? Tobacco-Free Life awards scholarships each quarter to students who are committed to preventing the suffering and death caused by smoking. Submit a typed essay of between 1,000 and 1,500 words that answers the following questions: Why do you believe smoking is a significant problem for both individuals and society as a whole? We as a society need to tackle the issue of smoking. What is the best way to accomplish this, and why is it the best approach? Imagine we're successful in creating a smoke-free world: what would that world look like? How would it be different to the world we live in today? See website for details and the application.
- Varsity Tutors Scholarship (deadlines: 15th of each month - award amounts: $1000 each) Essay questions change monthly. See website for more details.
Diversity Scholarship Sites
- American Indian College Fund
- Black Excel Multiple links to African American, Hispanic and other minority scholarship searches as well as historically Black colleges and other useful sites.
- Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs
- Gates Millenium Scholarships for African-American, American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian Pacific American or Hispanic students.
- Graduate Fellowships For Minorities Nationwide
- Holocaust Remembrance Scholarships
- INROADS internships
- P.E.O. Program Scholarship: Philanthropic Education Organization (deadline varies, average award $3,000) Available to women only. Applicants must have had at least 24 consecutive months as a non-student, be within 24 consecutive months of completing their educational goal, and be enrolled in an educational program leading to employment or job advancement. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office. The application must be submitted to the Director of the Financial Aid Office.
- ScienceNet Scholarship Listing
- The Latin American Educational Foundation
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund
- United Negro College Fund Scholarships are sorted by general, alphabetical, geographical and discipline.
International Student Scholarship Information
- EduPass Smart Guide to Studying in the USA - Provides up-to-date information for international students.
- International Education Financial Aid - Promotes international education through the development of the most comprehensive database of international education financial aid information on the Internet.
- International Scholarships Online - At this site you will find the most comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs and other information to assist college and university students in their pursuit to study abroad.
- International Scholarship Search
Scholarships for Academic Programs
Washington Universities - Transfer Student Scholarships
- Central Washington University
- City University of Seattle
- Eastern Washington University
- Evergreen State College
- PLU Transfer Scholarships
- Seattle Pacific University Transfer Scholarships
- University of Washington-Seattle transfer Scholarships
- University of Washington-Seattle Husky Promise
- University of Washington-Tacoma Scholarships
- Washington State University Transfer Scholarships
- Western Washington University Transfer Scholarships
- Whitworth University
Scholarship Search Engines
- Careeronestop - Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- College Board Scholarship Search - Locate scholarships and other information that match your educational level, talents and background.
- College Connection Scholarships
- College Resource Network
- College Scholarships.com
- ComputerScience.org - Scholarships for women in computer science.
- FastWeb! Search - Begins with a password protected customized profile for searches among thousands of scholarships.
- Find Money for College
- Free College Scholarships
- Scholarship America
- Scholarship Experts - Locates scholarships by a profile of program, regional area, school and other information.
- Scholarship Hunter - Free and Easy Scholarship Source.
- Scholarship Quest Helper
- Student Scholarship Search
- The National Data Base Scholarships
- The SmartStudent Guide - Undergraduate scholarships and graduate fellowships are forms of aid that help students pay for their education.
- The Washboard.org