What advisors do

Green River international student advisors help with:

  • University transfer planning
  • Academic planning
  • Class registration
  • Choosing a major
  • Immigration advising
  • Cultural adjustment support

Come to us with any other questions you might have — we will try our best to help!

Meet your advisors

After you are admitted to Green River College, you will be assigned an advisor based on your major. Your advisor will send you a welcome email a few weeks before orientation. If you change majors during your studies at Green River, you may then change your advisor to the specialist for your area of study.

Please include your full name, student ID and your major of study when you email our office. If you aren’t sure who your advisor is, you can always email and we will respond to you!

Adam Beals

Adam Beals

International Student Advisor
Advises: Aviation, engineering, math, pre-health, and science majors


Ellen Lambert

Ellen Lambert

International Student Advisor
Advises: Business majors


Kim Mucke

Kim Mucke

Associate Director of International Student Advising
Advises: Computer science majors


Mim Phillips

Mim Phillips

International Student Advisor
Advises: Arts and business majors


Andaiye Qaasim

Andaiye Qaasim

International Student Advisor
Advises: General studies, liberal arts, music, and undecided majors


Sandra Spadoni

Sandra Spadoni

Director of International Student Advising
Advises: Education and language learning majors


Part-time Advisors (for drop-in advising)

Chiew Jones

Chiew Jones

Part-time International Student Advisor
Advises: Drop-ins

Chiew was born and grew up in Singapore. She received her Bachelor of Science, majoring in Business Administration, at Oklahoma City University. She has experience working in the advertising, media, venture capital and non-profit sectors. She started a non-profit in Singapore, CampVision, which creates programs to mentor and empower youth with the leadership skills to pursue their dreams. In 2008, Chiew moved to Seattle as an international student to pursue her masters in non-profit leadership at Seattle University. Upon graduation, she worked as a fund development manager at an international development non-profit organization that sponsors the education of youth with disabilities in China. Chiew has worked and traveled in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, China and the U.S. She speaks Mandarin, Chinese dialects and Japanese. Chiew enjoys walking, Zumba and cooking international cuisines for her biggest fan i.e. her husband. Chiew is passionate about and committed to supporting international students to achieve their dreams through education.

Danice Warnke

Danice Warnke

Part-time International Student Advisor
Advises: Drop-ins

Danice Warnke joined the team of the Green River IPEL department in February 2014 as a part-time advisor. She previously worked for Kaplan International English at Highline Community College for five years, first as an ESL instructor and then as the Housing Advisor. Danice has a Bachelor of Arts in Communications from Washington State University. She also majored in French and lived in Nantes, France as a homestay student for one summer. After graduating she taught English at a private school in Funabashi, Japan for one year. She returned to the U.S. and worked in export sales for Nalley Fine Foods where she traveled to Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam and Germany.

Yasi Raouf

Yasi Raouf

Part-time International Student Advisor
Advises: Drop-ins

Yasi is currently a student in Seattle University’s Master of Education in Student Development Administration program. Yasi grew up in Iran, Turkey, and Seattle. She attended the University of Washington and received her Bachelor of Arts, double majoring in English and Legal Studies. Yasi worked as a high school English teacher in Seoul, South Korea and also as an independent contractor for Microsoft, teaching international employees English and cultural competency. Yasi is passionate about student development and pre-majors advising.


Making an appointment

You can email your advisor for an appointment. You can also stop by our office to make an appointment with your advisor, or ask for help on many issues that can be taken care of by our front desk.

Drop-in advising

You can also ask to see an advisor for a drop-in appointment if you have a very quick question or if something is urgent and your regular advisor is not available. Our drop-in advising is usually done by a part-time advisor.

What is a drop in appointment?

A drop-in appointment is a non-scheduled meeting that should not last more than 10 minutes. These are for quick questions only; if your question(s) will take longer or are very complicated, we will help you make a follow-up appointment with your assigned advisor. Drop-in students are served on a first-come, first-served basis so you may have to wait.

Examples of questions for drop-in appointments:

  • Add/drop classes
  • Entry codes
  • Account blocks

Examples of questions for regular appointments:

  • Degree planning
  • Transfer planning
  • Work authorization (OPT)
  • I-20 extensions or other immigration problems

Hours and location

Advising hours

Advising is open 9am – 5pm, Monday – Friday during the academic year.

Our location

We are located in the IVD building on the Main Campus. Our address is:

Green River College
IVD Building
12401 SE 320th Street
Auburn, WA 98092-3699

Our phone number is: (253) 288-3300

IP Reception services

Our reception desk is the first place you see when you walk in our office (IVD building). At the reception, you can get many questions answered or make appointments regarding advising, housing or tuition.

You can also submit requests for services. Please fill out the purple form at the front desk to request these services. Your will be emailed when your request is ready.

These requests for service include, but are not limited to:

  • I-20 travel signatures
    • Every week throughout the quarter: Tuesday 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and Thursday 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
    • Last week of each quarter: Tuesday 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Thursday 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Friday 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m and 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
  • replacement I-20 (if you lost your I-20)
  • visa support letter for visiting relatives
  • letter verifying full-time enrollment
  • certification letter for full-time enrollment
  • IESL transcripts (academic transcripts are ordered from Enrollment Services)
  • tuition refunds

Advising Workshops and University Visits

See all

Personal statement drop-in help from IP Advisors: You can make an appointment for help with your personal statement at the IP front desk, or email

Take Placement Test from Your Home Country

Your International Programs (IP) advising team set up a blog to help answer questions on how to take the reading and math placement tests from your home country. The advantage is that advisors can then help you register for your academic classes before you arrive. Classes fill up quickly by continuing students, and other new students, so it is in your best interest to try to register as soon as you can.

Passport, I-20, Visa

Prepare the following documents ready for presentation upon arrival at the airport. Be sure to hand-carry these; do not put these in your checked luggage.

Valid Passport

  • You will need a passport issued by your country of citizenship and it must be carried whenever you travel to the USA and outside of the USA. The info on your I-20 form, I-94 card, and other official documents normally match the information in your passport.
  • Non-immigrants are required to have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months when entering the USA.
  • Green River IP recommends that you allow at least 6 months to renew your passport while in the USA. To renew your passport once in the USA, contact the closest embassy or consulate for your country of citizenship.

I-20 Form

  • Your I-20 indicates the start and end dates of your program, your level of study, major, financial cost of your program, and the source of your financial support such as family or government funding. It is your responsibility to make sure the info on your I-20 is accurate and up-to-date.
  • It is recommended you keep all original I-20 forms issued by Green River and other schools, as well as make back-up copies for your records. DHS may ask for copies of previous I-20 forms when you apply for work permission or other immigrant-related benefit (e.g. OPT, change of visa status, reinstatement, etc.)

Valid F-1 Student Visa

  • Address of where you will live in the USA (on- or off-campus address)
  • Evidence of financial resources, such as bank statements
  • Evidence of student status (e.g. letter of acceptance, tuition receipts, transcripts)
  • Receipt for SEVIS fee, form I-797

See also: Getting a Visa

Orientation Week

We look forward to meeting all new students during Orientation Week, which will provide a comprehensive orientation to Green River including: placement tests, class registration, campus tour, an overnight camp, and a trip to Seattle. It is very important to attend Orientation Week to get off to a good start on your academic journey at Green River College!

Testing & First Quarter Registration

Students who have met the English Proficiency Requirements for direct admission into academic programs will take the COMPASS test during orientation to determine class placement.

COMPASS is a computer-based assessment of reading, writing and math. There is no time limit. Results are available immediately after completing the assessment, and during orientation students will be given the chance to take COMPASS up to two times for each subject area. Based on COMPASS scores, advisors will then register students for first quarter classes. Students can make changes to their class schedule, within the guidelines of course placement set by the school.

Appropriate placement is important as it impacts a student’s progression through their program and academic success. Sequencing of courses is dependent on the requirements listed for each area of study.

Preparing for COMPASS Placement Testing

Your advisors strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the COMPASS test in advance.  The more that you prepare, the more comfortable you will be when you take the test and the better chance you have of getting a score that accurately reflects your skills. Students are allowed to use a basic calculator during the test.

For more information on the COMPASS test see:

Test Re-takes & Alternatives

Can I retake the COMPASS test? If you think your COMPASS placement scores do not reflect your academic ability, you may retake the COMPASS within the following guidelines:

  • Compass retakes are limited to one per quarter (January-March, April-June, July-September, October-December)
  • Instructor permission to retake is required for students currently enrolled in ENGL 081/100 or READ 084/094. Instructor permission is also required for students currently enrolled in IESL and for those enrolled in Accelerated College Reading & Writing (ACRW).
  • Retakes not complying with these restrictions, including those taken at other institutions, will not be recorded or used for placement purposes.
  • Retake fees are $10 per section. Fees are non-refundable.

WAMAP Math Testing

The Washington Mathematics Assessment and Placement (WAMAP) another option for Math placement beyond the COMPASS test. Students can explore taking WAMAP after they have already tried COMPASS during orientation. Students should take the test for the math class they are attempting to enter. For example, if you wish to get into Math 072, take WAMAP for Math 072. Students are only allowed to tests for each math level once. The WAMAP is done on the computer in the Testing Center and is untimed, taking approximately 1 to 1.5 hours. It costs $10 per test. Fees are non-refundable.

See also: Assessment & Testing Center

Special First Quarter Classes: FFS, ISCE, ACRW

Foundation for Success (FFS)

Program Cost: $100.

This one quarter program is required for all incoming students. FFS helps students establish a strong learning foundation, enabling and supporting them in transferring to a top university. FFS offers students adapting to a new culture and language the extra help that can make a difference between success and failure in their first quarter. Students in FFS will have many opportunities to develop and perfect their skills. They will work alongside a Peer Mentor, who will be available during in person meetings and also via text or email. Peer Mentors are experienced Green River students who can speak to new students from their own experience, while listening to concerns, answering questions, and supporting the successes of new Green River international students as they begin to navigate their own academic journey at Green River!

International Student College Experience (ISCE)

Program Cost: $100.

This one quarter course is taken during the student’s first quarter and is required for all new Green River academic international students (except IESL graduates). The course prepares new international students for academic success at Green River and beyond by providing essential information and practical skills that will help make the transition into the college community and US as seamless as possible. ISCE provides the opportunity to learn about the university transfer process, college success strategies, and the expectations within the American collegiate classroom. By the end of the quarter, students will have gained a set of skills that will help them perform successfully in class, an indispensable list of college resources, knowledge of how to benefit from each school they have shortlisted, and a wealth of practical information about how to achieve academic success. This course counts for up to 2 credits towards the required 12 credits of full-time enrollment per visa regulations during the FIRST quarter you take this class. If you do not pass in the first quarter and must complete it in a later quarter, ISCE enrollment does not count in the subsequent quarter(s).

Accelerated College Reading & Writing (ACRW)

This is a specialized class for international students who are in academic coursework but whose COMPASS placement score for reading and writing were under the minimum for the first level of classes in the English department. This course counts 5 credits towards the required 12 credits of full-time enrollment per visa regulations, although credits do not show in a student’s online schedule. Advisors will register students who qualify for this course. Students in this course will be guided by the instructor in determining the optimum time to re-take the COMPASS placement exam.

Register for classes online

  • Five weeks into the quarter - check your registration access time: Visit online services to check the day and time you can register for classes.
  • Use the Schedule Planner tool to help you look for open classes.
  • You can use the following tools when selecting courses:
  • Don't forget to pay tuition immediately after you register for classes. You may pay by credit card, cashier's check, money order, wire transfer, personal check (from a U.S. bank) or traveler's check. To pay by credit card, use the Credit Card Payment Authorization form or pay via the online system. If you need additional time to pay, you can register for the STEP payment plan.
  • Remember to buy books for next quarter and consider selling your textbooks for the current quarter to the bookstore.

Online Entry Code Request

Rules: An entry code is used to allow registration for a class with prerequisites. If you have taken physics in high school and a physics course is a prerequisite for the class you want, you can request an entry code. Entry codes will not allow you to register for a full class.

If you have any questions, please contact

Online Entry Code Request Form

Overload Request

Rules: If you wish to register for more than 20 credits in a quarter, an advisor must register you for the extra course. You must have a 3.0 gpa or better to exceed 20 credits. In-person requests will not be accepted during drop-in advising. Please submit your request no earlier than the day of your registration appointment. We will register students AFTER their registration appointment time and AFTER you have registered for your other classes. We will process registrations Monday-Friday. Requests received after 3pm will be processed the next business day. Please make sure the course you are requesting is open - we cannot add you to a full course. Finally, remember to check your schedule.

If you have any questions, please contact

Overload Request Form

Tips for a successful quarter

  • DO NOT DROP BELOW 12 CREDITS without specific permission from your International Student Advisor. If you drop below 12 credits, you will be out of status for your F-1 visa requirements and will have to leave the U.S. immediately.
  • Keep your cumulative GPA at or above 2.0 at all times to remain in good academic standing with the school.
  • Remember to check your student email account daily. You can check it by visiting
  • Utilize the various free tutoring centers on campus.
  • Counseling and Health Services offers many student success workshops; check their website for the schedule.
  • Your instructor is a great resource too! Find all staff/faculty contact information online.
  • The Holman Library has quiet study areas, computers for student use, and a circulation desk.
  • Check the college calendar for important dates including finals, holidays, and registration dates.

Degree and Academic Planning

Academic Planning is long-term planning for course work required for you to achieve either an AA or focused classes in order to transfer to your transfer university. Students are advised to follow these steps when planning their Academic Goals at Green River and beyond:

  • Decide on your Major. Most students have an idea of what major/area of academic focus they would like to study, but some do not, or change their mind. Make an appointment with your International Student Advisor to discuss potential majors and career interests.
  • Ed Plan. Once students choose their intended major it is important to find out what courses are required for that degree and/or to transfer to a university upon completion of the degree at Green River. You will plan your courses using the Ed Plan tool. You will start to fill in your Ed Plan during your FFS and ISCE classes in your first quarter, and your advisor is available to help you complete your Ed Plan or help you with specific questions.
  • Where can you transfer? Choosing a University in the United States. There are many things to consider when choosing a university or college to transfer to after Green River. Some considerations include (but are not limited to): Where do you want to study? Does the university offer any special academic or other programs you are interested in? In order to assess your needs and desires for a transfer university, it is important to develop a list of criteria you want to use to evaluate colleges, compile a list of possible colleges and universities, and gather all your resources and information about each school you are considering, before narrowing your list of universities to 4 or 5 ‘finalist’ choices. You will get tools and advice on this choice during your time in FFS and ISCE, and then you will meet with your International Student Advisor to discuss your target schools and refine your transfer plan.

How to transfer your SEVIS record

  • After you have been admitted to your transfer school, visit the IP office or email your advisor to obtain the Green River exit forms. Fill out Exit Form Part 1 and 2 and bring a copy of your acceptance letter. If new university requires their transfer-in form, make sure to print it out and give it to your advisor.
  • What date can your SEVIS be transferred? If you are currently enrolled, pick a transfer out date after the last day of your final quarter at Green River. Please contact your advisor if you have a special situation and have any questions about your SEVIS transfer date. SEVIS transfers will not be transferred until you have completed the quarter, have your acceptance letter, and have completed Exit Forms 1 and 2.
  • Be sure to keep copies of all of your syllabi for classes you took at the college level. Your transfer-in school may request your syllabi in order to properly evaluate your transfer credit.

Request a Transcript

Applying for Graduation

  • Two quarters before you plan to graduate, you should apply for graduation at the Enrollment Services office. The specialists in Enrollment Services will process your application and email your Green River email account to let you know the exact classes you need to complete to graduate as planned.

Your Diploma

  • All diplomas and certificates will be mailed two months after the quarter ends from the Green River IP office. The IP office will contact you via email to confirm your mailing address before sending your diploma by airmail, free of charge.

Sample Degree Plans

The following are some sample degree plans created in our online degree plan system, called Ed Plan. Every current Green River student, as well as advisors, have access to Ed Plan, where students and advisors create customized degree plans to map out studies here at Green River.

Our students often transfer to top universities, and therefore pursue challenging schedules. Please visit our transfer page for more information about planning your university transfer.

If you plan to get an associate’s degree or certificate at Green River, you can use the degree audit tool to track your progress towards completing your degree or certificate.

*Note that these degree plans are examples only. Degree, transfer credits and major requirements can change without notice, so it is the student’s responsibly to carefully check requirements necessary for transfer, major admission and degree completion. Please ask your advisor if you have any questions!*


IP Advisors' Weekly Newsletter

Helpful Tips

Steps to Applying

  1. Start Date - Not every university accepts students every semester or quarter. Make sure you can transfer and begin your program on the semester or quarter you want.
  2. Application Deadline - Most universities have a specific date by when you have to submit your application. Find out when the deadlines are for all the universities you intend to apply to and make sure all application materials are submitted by that date. Some universities have priority deadlines which means you can apply early and get a respond earlier. When you are looking at application deadlines, please follow the deadline for international students and NOT transfer students. You are an international transfer student needing an I-20 and you must follow the international student application deadline.
  3. Transfer Course Requirements - Some majors like Business and Engineering require that you to complete certain classes before you transfer. Most universities require that you have fulfilled those requirements before you transfer, not before you apply.
  4. Additional Test - Make sure you have the appropriate proficiency test (e.g TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, etc) and you meet the minimum requirements. If not, please register for the next possible test date.
  5. Transcript - Have your official transcript sent from Green River and any other university you have attended, plus high school if your school requires it. Official transcripts can be ordered through the Registrar’s office and should be sent directly to your transfer school.
  6. Financial Statement - Obtain your bank statement or financial support letter from your bank or parents stating you have the sufficient funds. Every university will state a minimum amount you have to meet to qualify for admission and issuance of I-20. Depending on the school, you might have to submit this with your application, or it may be required only after you area admitted and you confirm attendance.
  7. Online Application Account - We recommend you complete the application form online. Create your online application account on the school website and complete the form electronically.
  8. Personal Statement - Write your personal statement at least 6 month ahead. Take your draft to the Writing Center and give it as many people as you can for feedback. The Writing Center offers online submissions options as well as in-person help. International Programs also offers personal statement review help November-March on a drop-in basis Wednesdays (4-5) and Thursdays (2-3) in IVC 101.
  9. Recommendation Letter - If required, ask a faculty, advisor or anyone who can give you a good recommendation to write a letter for you. You may want to establish a relationship with the person prior to making the request. Be sure to give all references this request at least a month in advance and follow up very politely to make sure it was done a week before the deadline.
  10. Submission and Payment - Review your online application to make sure it is accurate and complete. Submit both application and payment electronically.
  11. Application Status - You may be able to check your application status online. If you notice your application is incomplete or if you receive a notification from the university regarding an incomplete application, please respond immediately and rectify the problem.
  12. Wait and Hope -Plan carefully and work hard so that you can sleep well during the weeks and months between submission of your application packet and receipt of your official admission decisions. The time after submitting applications is stressful for all students. This is a “rite of passage” that everyone goes through in the US education system. We are excited to see where you will go!

How to transfer your SEVIS record

  • After you have been admitted to your transfer school, visit the IP office or email your advisor to obtain the Green River exit forms. Fill out Exit Form Part 1 and 2 and bring a copy of your acceptance letter. If new university requires their transfer-in form, make sure to print it out and give it to your advisor.
  • What date can your SEVIS be transferred? If you are currently enrolled, pick a transfer out date after the last day of your final quarter at Green River. Please contact your advisor if you have a special situation and have any questions about your SEVIS transfer date. SEVIS transfers will not be transferred until you have completed the quarter, have your acceptance letter, and have completed Exit Forms 1 and 2.

All the information above can be obtained from the individual school website. If you have any questions, please see an advisor.

Advising Workshops and University Visits

See all

Personal statement drop-in help from IP Advisors: November-March, Wednesdays (4pm to 5pm) and Thursdays (2pm to 3pm) in IVC 101