Welcome to Green River Community College
Letter from the President
Dear Campus Community,
At Green River Community College, we are extremely proud of our nearly fifty years of fulfilling our mission to provide quality education, and our vision to create opportunities for every student. Our students are eager to learn, and are excited about achieving their academic, personal and professional goals. Our faculty hold our students to high standards of achievement and guide them through their academic journey. Working with faculty, our staff provides excellent support services to help ensure that our students graduate with the skills necessary to succeed.
Green River provides many learning options for students. The college is recognized as a top choice for students preparing to transfer to a four-year institution. Professional and technical degree programs help lead students to immediate employment. College prep programs, such as Running Start, high school completion and GED test preparation, provide students with a solid educational background as they enter the collegiate world. Continuing education classes provide students with lifelong learning experiences.
With more than 9,000 students, the College prides itself in welcoming a diverse student population. Our students come from around the Puget Sound region, across the United States and from around the world. Our rich diversity allows students the opportunity to experience a wealth of perspectives and ideas, thus preparing them for a global world.
The College has three unique campuses, strategically located to meet the needs of our service region. To encourage student involvement, many student clubs and activities are available. To help ensure student success, the College offers a wide array of support services—to include scholarships through the Green River Community College Foundation.
We encourage you to explore our website, visit our campuses, and learn more about how Green River Community College can help you reach your educational goals. We look forward to meeting you soon. Go Gators!
Dr. Eileen Ely
Vision and Mission
Green River will be a leading community college committed to creating opportunities for lifelong learning and student success.
Green River Community College improves the lives of people within our diverse communities by providing quality education and training programs. We assist students in defining and achieving their goals through instructional excellence, innovative programs and responsive services.
Green River’s mission recognizes the college’s commitment to instruction and the success of all students regardless of their skill levels and education goals. The college has identified four core themes to further define the mission which are used to assess institutional effectiveness. These core themes are:
- Transfer Education
- Professional/Technical Education
- Basic Skills/Developmental Education
- Continuing Education
- Students will benefit from Green River's commitment to learning as its highest priority.
- Transfer students will meet the requirements for transfer to successfully pursue a baccalaureate degree.
- Professional/technical and workforce students will master the skills sought by employers to be successful in the workplace.
- Under-prepared students will demonstrate competency in reading, English, and math that prepare them for success in college-level courses.
- Community members will have opportunities for life-long learning to enrich their lives personally, socially, and culturally.
- Members of our diverse communities will have reasonable access to affordable educational programs and services that meet their needs.
- Under-represented students will be provided services that support their learning and promote student success.
- The community will benefit from Green River's active participation in programs, events, collaborative partnerships, and entrepreneurial activities with government, business, and community organizations.
- The citizens of Washington will be ensured of Green River's consistent practice of responsible fiscal stewardship and public accountability.
Role and Scope
Green River offers courses and programs leading to a variety of associate degrees, certificates, and diplomas in professional and technical fields and academic transfer. The college also offers customized training, developmental and basic skills programs, as well as a variety of noncredit activities and courses for personal enrichment. Students enroll at the main campus in Auburn, Enumclaw Campus, Kent Campus, other community locations, and through distance learning. Green River also offers a variety of support services to currently enrolled and prospective students to increase their chances for success.
We, the faculty, staff, administration and Board of Trustees of Green River, embrace the following values and beliefs:
- Recognizing student success as our highest priority
- Providing access to those who can benefit
- Embracing diversity
- Holding teaching excellence in high regard
- Recognizing the importance of student involvement
- Demonstrating accountability for achieving our goals
- Developing a global consciousness
- Ensuring a safe environment
- Preserving the natural campus environment
- Promoting innovation
- Fostering individual growth and development
- Respecting the worth and dignity of the individual